Friday, October 09, 2009

Little Sisters

There is an unwritten order of things in the world--little sisters wield a lot of power. The power of humiliation. I was and currently am a little sister. I silently (and sometimes vocally) cheer when I see this power used to its fullest. Tonight was a vocal moment.

I just dropped the Man and his best friend off at a dance. Lucie wanted to go along for the ride. The conversation went something like this:

Lucie: "Are you going to hold hands?"

The Man lets out a gasp of horror.

Mom: "Lucie, sometimes when you dance you have to hold hands."

Lucie: "...and call her sweetie!"

At this point the boys are rolling on the floor laughing.

Mom: "I don't think they should call her sweetie."

The Man: "Yeah Lucie, I'm not calling anyone sweetie."

Lucie: "You should call her sister."

Mom: "Yea boys, call the girls sister. That should keep things on an appropriate level."

More rolling and laughing.

Lucie: (as we pull into the parking lot) "Are you sure about this?"

Boys: "Yea, we are sure."

Lucie: "Don't forget to hold hands!"

3 comments:

devanddar said...

Love this! I remember being the little sister! Thanks for the great laugh this morning!

TJoad said...

So upon getting the dance report last night, it seems the boys turned the whole thing to their advantage. They told all of their friends-that-are-girls Lucie's story. Then they would say "hey sweetie--wanna dance?"

Turns out it's a great pick-up line.

Roger said...

I love this.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...