Sunday, July 19, 2009

growing veggies and growing girls

Ok, so I think I told you that we have been working hard in the backyard. I thought I'd do a little follow-up post to show you how things are going.

First, we changed the location of the garden. We made two smaller gardens along the fence line. I think my plants are growing nicely--thanks to all that spring rain.

my beautiful zucchini plant

Our out-of-control pumpkin vine.

Look Mom--my cantaloupe pulled out of it's funk!

Beans!! I love fresh green beans. We should be harvesting next week-yippee!

I learned that when you remove sod to make room for a garden, there's a really big chance that you will have cut-worms. I have found that to be the case. The little monsters. They have completely destroyed two tomato plants and one yellow squash. Uggh!

What's left of my tomato plants.

We built a play-fort for Lucie. She is enjoying it, although now that the temps are hovering around 100 degrees--no one really wants to go outside. We still have to add the swings and put it in it's permanent spot. We are dragging our feet a bit. We can't decide which would be better, grass or woodchips. Any thoughts?



We have also added a beautiful water feature.

heh heh

And last but not least--the secret to a good garden is a really diligent gardener.

"These plants need a drink."

"I need a drink too."


Bonus Picture:
Are those not the sweetest little legs you have ever seen?

3 comments:

Bryony said...

You're right. Those are the sweetest, most precious legs ever.

Tera said...

Having had both at different times, grass is definitely the way to go.

Tera said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...