Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Happy Happy Birthday!

Birthdays at our house are more like "birthweeks". We like to spread things out a bit and as a result, they have turned into quite the celebrations. S-lady's birthday was no exception. We started celebrating on Friday. "S" decided to take the day off of work and surprise her by checking her out of school. It doesn't get much better than that! She got to spend the entire day with her Dad! We checked her out around 10am and walked to a nearby park. We played on the slides and the tire swings and anything else she wanted. Then we walked home and the planning began. What to do?? That was the big question. After much deliberation (a movie? a play? mini golf?) the two of them settled on bowling and lunch at her favorite sandwich shop. That was followed by some shopping. The best part was bragging to her brother that she got checked out of school.

Saturday was the actual day of her birth. To start the day, we attended the Primary talent show. I love the talent shows! The kids are so terrific. S-lady had signed up to play a piano piece. She opted to play "Happy Happy Birthday" in honor of her special day. After she finished playing (and it was perfect I might add) everyone sang happy birthday to her. It was wonderful!

At 2pm we set-off for the official birthday "party". We have a rule at our house that once you turn eight, you no longer have the traditional friend birthday parties. But you are allowed to choose a fun activity and invite your favorite friend along. S-lady chose to go to "Jump On It". It is a local establishment that we hadn't tried yet. It houses 10,000 square feet of trampolines. Literally, it is "wall to wall" jumping. They also have inflatables and other fun things. "S" kept saying "I can't believe that you brought us here...it is so dangerous!" But despite the element of danger, it is really fun! And the kids had a ball. S-lady brought her lifelong best friend Katie. They jumped and jumped and jumped! I took lots of photos that I will download as soon as I can. We topped off the occasion with a trip to the local ice cream stop. A good time was had by all! I didn't jump--somebody had to hold the baby! Hopefully no permanent damage was done to the Dad. B-man is saying that he wants to go back for his birthday. We'll see.


The netting around the trampolines makes for some interesting pictures!



Lucie loved the blow up slides!

We culminated the birthday festivities with a family party on Sunday. S-lady chose to have roast beef, mashed potatoes and gravy, and homemade rolls for her birthday dinner. That might not seem all that unusual to most of you. But for the past eight birthdays or at least as long as I can remember, she has always chosen to have crab fettuccine. When I asked why she wasn't choosing that this year, she said "Mom, I always choose that. This year I want to do something different." Well OK. It was yummy. For dessert she chose to have vanilla birthday cake with pink frosting and ice cream. We invited grandma and grandpa and a few close friends over and she had a great time. Thanks everyone for your thoughtful gifts. I think she really had a wonderful birthday! I can't believe how fast these kiddos grow up. It just really isn't right. There has to be a way to freeze time somehow. If anyone has figured that out, let me know.

Update: Can you believe that it actually snowed on S-lady's big day?? Here's the proof!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...