I wanted to write this down before I forgot. Last Sunday, as you know we took the children to a local rest home. We had made arrangements with them ahead of time, to visit with some of the residents. When we got there, we discovered that there was an unknown conflict and most of the residents were in a meeting that wouldn't be out for about an hour. It took us a minute to figure out what we should do. Finally, it was decided that there were a few sweet ladies that had decided to stay in their rooms and maybe we could visit with them. The first one was actually the oldest living person in our state. She was 106 years old and the sweetest little thing. She loved hearing the children sing and they loved presenting her with their original art pieces. We sang three or four Christmas songs, and then she asked us to sing "I am a child of God." It was wonderful!
Next up was a 98 year old that was bedridden. It took her a minute to put her robe on, but soon we were ushered in to share some Christmas cheer. She was delightful as well. We went to another little lady's room. I think she was 95 or 96. They were all so wonderful to visit with. The hardest part was saying good-bye. I think we could have stayed and visited with each of them for much much longer. Last but not least, we visited one of Grandma Sybil's sweet friends. She really didn't want us to leave.
I wasn't quite sure how the small children would react to seeing these older people in wheelchairs and beds. I was so thrilled with the way Lucie responded. When we got out to the car, she told me that she didn't want to be a ballerina anymore, she wanted to work at the care center! The next day she told me that she didn't think she could wait until she was old enough to work. She wanted to go back there right away.
I think we can arrange that.
No comments:
Post a Comment