...are coming a lot earlier than I expected.
Lucie: "Mom, do you have a baby in your tummy?"
Me: "No."
Lucie: "Are you married?"
Me: "Yes."
Lucie: "Then you have a baby in your tummy. That's how it works!"
Me: "I used to have a baby in my tummy, but he came out."
Lucie: "Who?"
Me: "The Man (and the Lady for that matter)."
Lucie: "Was I in your tummy?"
Me: "No, you were born in China."
Lucie: "Why did I come out of your tummy in China?"
Me: "No honey, you were in your birthmother's tummy."
silence
Lucie: "Why did she give me to you?"
(I told you these were hard questions!)
Me: "Well, I guess I don't really know for sure. But I am so lucky that she did!"
silence
Lucie: "I wish I was in your tummy."

6 comments:
Those ARE hard questions - she is so insightful. I love the new header picture - so cute!
Julie, I can't tell you how much I've thought about this and how I pray I'll know the right things to say in these situations. Your response in my opinion was perfect!
Shelli--it is difficult to know what to say, isn't it?! I just wish I knew more about her life in China and her birth family. I think you got it just right-prayer is the only way!
Those will probably be the hardest questions EVER. You are a wonderful mom and she will always know that you are her forever mom.
Hard questions- but you handled it beautifully. Right now you are her whole world, and as time moves on she will discovers things don't always happen by the book. I do know that she will understand that she most definitely belongs right here in your arms and with your loving family!!! Oh, we just love that little Lucie to pieces!
Love is not limited to tummy-babies.
Post a Comment