Yesterday was my birthday. I spent the day in Idaho to celebrate the life of this man . I love him and his dear wife Vera. They have had a tremendous impact on my life. I met them almost twenty years ago as I walked onto Temple Square as a full-time missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for the first time. I spent everyday on Temple Square for the next fifteen months of my life and every one was brightened by the Orams. They could always bring a smile to your face and a song to your heart. The funeral was beautiful--a great tribute to a great man. There were many touching stories shared. Some of them made you laugh and some of them made you cry. My favorite part of the funeral was the story about a young teenage boy in the Oram's ward. For over a year now, he has been watching for the Oram's to arrive to church every Sunday. He would meet them at their car and escort them into the chapel to their seats. President Oram's health has been deteriorating. He used a walker and had very impaired vision. Last spring, he met with his Bishop. He told him that when he died, he wanted this young man to be the one to escort him into the chapel one last time. It was very touching, to see this young man push President Oram's casket to the front of the chapel as he performed this one last act of service for his friend.
Stangely enough, this was one of my favorite birthdays. It was a great reminder of how blessed I have been in my life to associate with amazing people. Thanks to my family and friends for making it a really great day!
2 comments:
Thanks for the comment Ruth! It really was a great day and they are truly amazing people. I deleted your post because we try to avoid using our real names.
Love you too!
Post a Comment