Friday, October 30, 2009

A Halloween Ghost Story

When I was young, we had a ghost.  True story.  It wasn't a creepy scary angry ghost.  It wasn't even a Moaning Myrtle or a Nearly Headless Nick  It was more of a Casper.  At least that's how my 13 year old self remembers it.  My other family members may tell this story differently.  My brother Jim will tell you that it was the ghost of the former owner of our home.  He died of a heart attack years before we moved in, in the basement office.  Jim always liked a chilling tale.  You know, the stuff family legends are made of.  My Mom will tell you that it was probably the spirit of a friend of hers that had recently passed on--just coming to check on us.  I suppose either version could be true.  Or maybe something in-between.  It never did anyone any harm.  It rattled around a lot and really freaked out our dog.  I remember one night in particular--July 29, 1981.  In fact, I think it was the last time that the ghost came around.  It was during the wee hours of the morning.  For some reason that silly ghost kept opening and closing my closet door.  It woke me up.  That and the fact that the dog was barking and growling and running up and down two flights of stairs as fast as she could as if being chased by a banshee.    I remember it because it was the day (night?) that Prince Charles married Lady Diana.  We all ended up in the family room watching the wedding as it happened live from London. Apparently that ghost didn't want to miss the event of the century.  It was a very hip ghost.

1 comment:

devanddar said...

Love the ghost story! I have a few ghost stories myself - although mine aren't as "hip". BTW, you have a name down under "Swim Meet", in the comments. I love that you remember the exact date of your ghost visit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...