Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The New World Order

Our schedule and way of doing things has undergone some major changes over the past couple of weeks. For various and sundry reasons.

Problem #1
Swim team practice is everyday from 6-7pm. Could they pick a worse time??

Problem #2
Dad rarely gets home before six and usually leaves again before seven.

Problem #3
This Mom feels very strongly about eating together as a family.

What to do??

Solution #1
Shift our big family meal from dinner to breakfast. This has taken some getting used to. It took me over a week just to summon an appetite at seven in the morning. It also requires getting up earlier to fit in all of the things that we need to do before school and work. In particular the Mom has to get up earlier to cook whatever we are having. I guess you have to sacrifice for the things you feel strongly about.

Pleasant Surprise #1
I haven't had to buy cold cereal (not even one box) for three weeks now! And the pantry is still sufficiently stocked with the nasty stuff in case of an emergency.

Pleasant Surprise #2
I lost three pounds in one week. Not bad!

Pleasant Surprise #3
Everyone seems to love warmer heartier breakfasts.

New Problem #1
I need some new recipes and ideas for breakfast. If you have any quick and yummy recipes, please send them my way!

New Problem #2
I also need ideas for quick grab dinners on the go. Something you can freeze individually and warm in the microwave. Or something you can throw in the crock-pot that people can eat whenever they need to. Or something you can simmer on the stove for long periods of time. I think you get the idea. Send me those recipes and ideas too please!

New Problem #3
I'm finding it a challenge to get veggies into my family. If I'm not around to force feed them veggies at dinner--it just ain't gonna happen. And peas and broccoli just don't sound that great at 7am. Help!

OK thanks bye.

10 comments:

Roger said...

How about corn cooked with scrambled eggs and topped with cheese? Yummy! You are right about that green and leafy stuff for breakfast, How do the cows do that?

Roger said...

For New Problem #2, somewhere (?) I had pizza rolls...They were so good I could eat them every day and never get tired of them.

TJoad said...

haha Dad, you are funny. Pizza rolls are on the menu. But even though we could eat them everyday, we really shouldn't!

Bryony said...

Snack pack baby carrot sticks. Its pretty much the only way I get my veggies in.

If I have any other ideas I'll let you know.

Also, looks like Lucie's party was a great success and like you had tons of fun at the pool!

TJoad said...

I do pack carrots in the lunch sacks. And grape tomatoes too. The kids love those.

devanddar said...

It sounds to me like you are doing really good at packing in the good stuff - I just sent Lily off to school with a lunch - get this - chocolate milk box, oreo snack sticks and chips. Arrg! She won't EAT even a sandwich! Luckily the other two are better than that. Let me think on the recipe thing.

Bree D. said...

This new schedule of yours is the way I grew up. With 8 kids in my family going a million directions it was the only way to be together. We would get up early for family scripture reading, have family prayer and eat breakfast together. It was a great thing for our family. I look back at it fondly and I was never hungry at school!! We had hot cereal (cream of wheat, oatmeal) on Monday, Wednesday. We had eggs (fried, boiled, scrambled, poached, breakfast burritos, egg McMuffins etc.) on Tuesday, Thursday. Fridays was pancakes or waffles (I looked forward to it all week!). My family is crazy scheduled like that, but it worked. Good luck with the vegetable thing though, that is hard!

The Stig and The Pickle said...

I have a bunch of nifty recipies so I'll print them and mail them to you. You can chuck what you don't like and keep what you do. I love breakfast's and used to make them regularly. A good idea for a quick egg type thing though that I don't have a recipe is: Mix up your eggs in a bowl, add some salt and pepper. Then pour the egg mix into a quart size frezzer bag (for each person in the family) and let them add the ingredients they want. Vegies, ham, cheese, etc. Then place the egg creations in boiling water and they will come out in a few minutes being really good omlettes, without a ton of hassle. And it's fun for the kiddos to be in charge of their own creations. Good luck and I'll send you some stuff in the next few weeks.

TJoad said...

Bree, I'm so glad to hear that this crazy schedule worked for you and would love to chat about it some more. That's kind of how I have set up our schedule too. I haven't pinned down Monday's yet, but Tuesdays are eggs, Wednesdays are pancakes/waffles/french toast, Thursdays are hot cereal, and Fridays are something sweet and yummy like cinnamon rolls, or muffins, or the like.

Sara-thanks for the omelet in a bag idea. I think they will love that!

Bryony said...

J, I remembered that I have a sister-in-law with some AWESOME recipes. She gave us cookbooks for Christmas a few years ago, and if you'd like to borrow it, I'd be happy to drop it by. I drive right near your house twice a week now. Also, she recently posted a blog about muffin day, along with several muffin recipes. I thought maybe you could take that idea and run with it for easy make-n-go meals. I'll send you the blogger address in an email, just in case she wouldn't want it spread around.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...