Sunday, May 31, 2009
The End of a Very Long Chapter
Well. For those of you who might not know, my husband is a geek...in the best sense of the word! He loves all things electronic and techie. He has worked for 19 1/2 years (his entire adult life) in the I.T. department of a local computer based company. He has moved around a little from one group to another over the years. We have survived many lay-offs in a volatile industry. We were actually laid off once about twelve years ago. They called the next day and arranged a contract for him to finish the projects he was working on, and then hired him back full-time just a few weeks later. We have been very blessed with good work. Well, we found out late last week that all of the I.T. department employees and the I.T. equipment and facilities are being bought out by another company. This company is a HUGE I.T. outsourcing company. They have over 75,000 employees all over the world. They will be outsourcing I.T. services back to our previous employer using many of the same people, equipment, and data center. We don't really know a lot of the details yet. We will find out more information and how it applies to us directly tomorrow. The word on the street is that everyone will be offered a job by the new company. That's very good news!! We have a lot of questions though...concerning salary, time-off, insurance, flexible spending accounts, and other benefits. Will they honor tenure? Will he be working for the same boss? Will he be working at the same location? Will he be traveling more? Will he be working from home? The powers-that-be are assuring us that this will be a very good thing, with lots of opportunity to learn and grow. When you've been doing the same thing for 19+ years though, it's a little disconcerting. So, hang on--it might be a bumpy ride!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Wow! I was stressed it was going to be a blog post about Lucie getting potty trained (since Dags STILL isn't!!).
We'll be thinking about you guys and hope they it will end up being a fabulous opportunity for growth and new experiences.
I like your attitude. Lots of crazy times in the world of employment for so many right now.
Hope it all works out well for your family. I am sure it will.
Post a Comment