I know that I am probably a little strange. But, I really like this time of year. I like taking all of the Christmas decorations down and having a clean uncluttered house. I like the feeling of "starting over" and setting goals. Life just seems simpler in January. Maybe it is because the weather is generally nasty and we just stay inside more. Maybe it's because it's all about warmth and comfort.
Some things you can just count on happening to me in January...every January...since as long as I can remember:
*I have an overwhelming urge to clean and de-junk my house. January is a good time to get a handle on things like this. You don't have to worry about mowing the lawn or canning the tomatoes and you aren't rushing around trying to find the perfect Christmas gift. It's the perfect time.
*I always want to cook more. And it seems more fun. Especially baking. I love to bake! I have been perusing the internet for new recipes. This year, I want to get better at cakes. I can make a cake. But I usually opt for the "Betty Crocker" version in a box. I want to learn to make really awesome cakes from scratch. I tried my hand at cupcakes last year and didn't really succeed. We ate a lot of trifle though (I think that might explain my kids new found love of trifle). Cakes are a good challenge. A lot of things can go wrong. Especially with my old unpredictable oven. I'm not so much interested in the decorating. Although that can be fun. I am looking to perfect the actual cake itself. Just the right balance of delicious and moist. I actually made a cake from scratch last Sunday. I completely killed the recipe. I got distracted and forgot to put in the sugar and the baking soda. I actually poured the batter into the pans before I realized something was terribly wrong. Back into the mixing bowl it all went and in went the sugar and soda. I was afraid that there would be no salvaging it. But despite all of that, it turned out really good. It was especially tasty the next day. I'll have to try that recipe again and see if it's any better if I actually do it right the first time. I'll keep you posted on my progress.
*I find new resolve to save money. I have actually been on a money saving kick for several months now. I think we are doing well. But we can still do better. I have been reading a lot of money and finance and investment books. It's time I understood it all better. I read a book last week while I was sick that I absolutely LOVED! It's called Your Money or Your Life. Many of the points that were discussed really rang true with me. I wish I had read it when I was 18. I plan on reading it again very soon ( I loaned my copy to my honey because it's helpful if we are on the same page so to speak) and I plan on actually implementing many of the ideas. I read the first edition which was written in the 80s or 90s. A new updated version for our current economic times has just been released. If you are interested I suggest getting a copy of the new edition. I ordered one and I can't wait to compare the differences. It really is a good book--even if it is written by a couple of hippies!
*I get re-interested in scrapbooking. It's a good activity to do when you are stuck inside. I have a lot of projects that I would like to complete in 2009. Many of them are left-over from 2008 and 2007 and 2006. You get the idea.
January needs to have more than 31 days.
No comments:
Post a Comment