Thursday, June 28, 2007

Lucie Day!

That is what we have decided to call the day we met Lucie and S-lady wants to celebrate every year. Which I think is a fabulous idea.

The day went without a hitch. We had to take care of some business in the morning and the kids went swimming with Ali. At about 12:30 we started to get antsy, so we went out to walk around the island a bit. We had dropped our laundry off at Lucy's Place that morning and met a cute lady named Tracy. We visited with her a little more. Everyone here is soooo nice. They remember your names and all of the little details you share with them. It's probably business savvy, but it is very effective! Then we walked next door to Susan's Place. It was much smaller and at first glance, kind of "junky" but I started talking to Susan and WOW am I glad I did. It turns out that she is from Dianbai (the village where Lucie is from). She about jumped out of her skin when she heard we were getting a baby from Dianbai. She started telling me all about the village and the people there. She said that it is a custom to tie a knotted red string around a newborn baby's wrist or ankle in Dianbai. It doesn't have to have beads, but it does have to be made from a red thread and the knots represent happiness. The more knots the better. She said to ask if she had a red thread bracelet on when she was found. Then she gave us two red thread bracelets that were made in Dianbai-one for Lucie and one for Slady. She was so nice and I can't wait to talk to her some more and show her the baby. She gave me her email address and said that she would send me some pictures of the village. While I was talking to Susan, the boys were playing chinese hackysack with her husband. I think they found a new sport to love! Anyway, our little jaunt was successful--it helped to pass the time, but now we were running late. We went back to the hotel room and quickly got ready to go to the Civil Affairs Office.

We loaded the bus and took a twenty minute ride through Guangzhou. It is such an interesting city. The streets are narrow and they are lined with shops all up and down both sides. We noticed that all of the shops on a particular section of the road would be selling the same thing. Like thirty shops all selling packing materials. Or a whole street full of shops selling grain. Lee (our guide here in guangzhou) said that this was normal. Each street specializes in a selling a certain item. Fascinating.

We entered the building a little early. The babies had not arrived yet. There were two families from our agency and two from another. Within minutes one of the babies arrived. I recognized her right away as being Mitch and Nicole's baby (a couple from our group)! It was overwhelming. They wouldn't let Nicole hold her yet because they needed to do some paperwork first. But, the tears were already flowing. It was just amazing. One by one the babies started to arrive. Our Lucie was last. I just barely got a glimpse of her before they whisked her into a nearby room. After a little while they brought her out to us. She was accompanied by two ladies--I am assuming they were her caretakers. They seemed to really know her and love her. She cried and cried at first. She settled down after a little bit. But every time she was held by someone new, she would start up again. She is just perfect in every way! I am so thrilled with the care she has obviously received. Each of us took a turn holding her at the Civil Affairs Office. S-lady was a bit sad because of Lucie's sadness. She didn't like to hold her because she didn't want to make her sad. But then we figured out that Lucie likes Gerber strawberry puffs and that was all it took for her to warm right up to her sister!




She is becoming more and more comfortable with us by the minute. Last night she was giggling and playing and having a great time. She even kisses and it is the cutest thing you have ever seen! She settled right down next to me at about 8:00 last night and went to sleep. S moved her to her crib a few hours later. The beds here are so narrow that I was afraid she would roll right off in the night. Otherwise, I would have kept her with me. But she is doing fine in her crib. In fact, I haven't even heard a peep out of her. She is still sleeping peacefully. It will be fun to see what today brings.

One last thing before I post a bunch more pictures. We are so grateful that Ali could be with us! She is a life saver. The kids just adore her and we were able to get a heap of photos yesterday thanks to her photography skills! She is going to stay at the hotel with the older kids today while S and I take Lucie back to the Civil Affairs Office and make this adoption official in the eyes of the Chinese government. That spells B-O-R-I-N-G to an eight year old and a twelve year old. Thanks Ali!


Lucie loves to suck her thumb and snuggle with her blanket!

2 comments:

Hannah's Assistant said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the details!!! We are going to go right away and buy strawberry puffs!!! What a special, special day! So is Lucie day the 27th or 28th? We will put it on our calendars. Love you all very, very much.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...