Thursday, May 17, 2007

A Look Back




Can you believe that two weeks ago today, we saw Lucie for the first time? I was thinking back on the whole experience and realized that I never really blogged it adequately. I was expecting the FedEx package to be delivered overnight from my agency. I assumed I would have to sign for the package. I really wanted to get a picture of the delivery guy (how often does the FedEx guy deliver a baby?). Well, I waited around all day. I was home the entire time...except that I had to leave for about ten minutes to run the carpool to school. I left at 8:50 and was back home at 9:00. I waited and waited and waited. I was sure that I would hear the truck--I always do. So, even if I didn't have to sign for it, I would surely be able to catch him before he drove off. Around noon, I was getting panicky. I called the lady at our agency to see if she could give me a tracking number. She was no help at all. It didn't occur to her that I might want a tracking number. She was on a commuter plane and didn't have any way to look it up for me. She was very surprised that it hadn't come yet. UGGH! Soon after that, my friend's son knocked on the door. I pulled the door open and there on the ground was THE ENVELOPE!! You have got to be kidding me?? How long had it been sitting there. I had been listening and watching all morning! Well, come to find out from a neighbor that a GIANT FedEx truck came by our house just before 9:00. What are the odds? Right during those brief moments when I was doing carpool?? I was so frustrated --for about 3 milliseconds. Gone were my dreams of snapping the delivery guy's photo. Oh well...who cares! My daughter's picture is in this envelope! I hurried and called S and ran to the schools to pick up the kids. We all met back home a short time later. It was unbelievable. We gathered around the couch and opened the envelope. I had to open the envelope and slide the file out with my eyes closed, because we all wanted to see her at the same time. OK everyone, 1..2..3! And then...there she was! It was like I had been looking at her my whole life. Amazing!

Since then, everyone has been so kind and supportive. So many have made sweet comments and sent lovely cards. My brother sent us some gorgeous asian lillies (I don't know how he did it, but the timing was perfect. The florist delivered them right after I had found the envelope and just before I picked up the kids from school), a neighbor brought over pink balloons, and we had cake to celebrate! It has been so fun to talk to everyone on the phone and spread the joyous news. We just can't wait to bring her home!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...