Tuesday, May 22, 2007

The day that time stood still






Wow, a lot has happened since I last wrote...I don't have a lot of time, but I wanted to let you know what is going on. Bman was in a terrible four wheeling accident on Saturday. I wasn't there, so I can't give you an eyewitness account. But, it was bad very very bad. I am hoping to have my husband write an entry with all of the details. He and S-lady were there (in a different vehicle) and saw the whole thing unfold. In a nutshell, Bman was in the back of a Ford Bronco with two other boys. Two adults were sitting in the front. The driver was very experienced (the news reports are not reporting it accurately) and the Bronco was completely capable of "getting up this pass". He had gone up this road many times in the past. Basically, they were going up a very steep incline and almost to the top of the ridge when the back axle completely shattered. The driver put on the brakes, but the Bronco began to slide. The front wheels slid to the right and then began to roll...and roll...and roll! It rolled about eight times-about 200 yards down the mountain and finally lodged in a tree. There is no reason that any of those people should have been alive, but one by one they climbed out of the wreckage. Emergency vehicles were there within about ten minutes. Bman was life flighted to a nearby Children's hospital. I met him at the emergency room (it took me a little longer to get there). He looked horrible. They had him strapped to a backboard and he was wearing a neck brace. They rushed him in for a CT scan. The doctor came out shaking his head. He could not believe how "lucky" this little boy was. He has a huge hematoma on the back of his head, but there was no damage to his brain. His spine and spinal cord were not damaged. His clavicle was broken and displaced medially, but miraculously there was no damage to the underlying vessels. It turns out that he also broke his clavicle distally. He is covered in scrapes and bruises and cuts. His neck, head, and left shoulder are very swollen. We are just in awe at how blessed we are to still have him with us! We spent three days and two nights in the trauma unit at the hospital, but are finally home now. Amazingly, he came home with just a sling for his left arm. Unbelievable!

All of the others are doing well also. The driver is in the worst shape. He is still in the hospital with lots of broken bones. The rest are home and recovering with a few broken bones and lots of bruises and scrapes. We are all so very blessed!


I guess we know now, why we didn't get our referral in April. We would not have been able to travel next week. Thanks for all of your prayers and kind words. We sure have an incredible support system. I will try to get S to post the whole story later and we will post some pics as soon as we can.

Update: I posted some pics today. Bman was sitting behind the driver seat. That is his helicopter taking off. Most are reporting now that the vehicle rolled fourteen times...either way, it's bad.

1 comment:

Sport Lover said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...