This is a poem that I am posting with permission, written by Amy Clark. She is a fellow adoptive Mom that is in China right now being united with her daughter!
Simple Things
As you sleep, a stream of drool trickles down your soft, round cheek
I wipe it away, ever so softly
Has anyone ever wiped the drool from your sweet little sleeping face before?
As you wake, little sleeping sand bits are scattered about your drowsy lids
I wipe it away, ever so softly
Has anyone ever wiped away the Sandman's dreaming sand from your eyes before?
When I dress you, you pull on the tag at the nape of your neck, it itches
I cut it from each of your clothing items, carefully
Has anyone noticed tags bother your skin and make you itch?
When you drink from your bottle, you hold the base of the bottle, in your mouth
with your palm
When I drink from a glass, you hold the base of my glass, to my lips
with your palm
No one has done this for me before
As you drift to sleep you rub your own hair
I see you
I rub your hair, ever so softly
Has anyone rubbed your hair until you slept before?
When I take off your socks, I kiss each one of your toes
You hold your other foot up to my lips
I kiss that foot too
Over and over you lift your foot for Mama kisses
Has anyone kissed your precious little toes, each and everyone, before?
When we sit at the table, you only sit on my lap
You open your mouth round, like an O
I give you bites of my food, and call you affectionately, "little bird"
Has anyone fed you you from their own plate, as you sat on their lap before?
You sleep
I am awake, looking at you
Simple things
Have you been given these gentle, simple things before, my baby girl?
As you dream, I dream
Of simple things for every child. Of simple things for you
My child
To Jane, written by your Mama, Amy Clark, when you first came home to her arms
No comments:
Post a Comment