Thursday, November 16, 2006
Produce Co-op
So today was the big day. I started a neighborhood produce co-op and today was our first delivery. This is how it works. We have twelve families involved. Everyone pays $20 every other week. We pool our money and buy directly from the "produce guys" at wholesale prices. I went and compared what we ordered to the stuff at the grocery store and I think we are almost saving 50%. It's really amazing. I am learning quite a bit as well. So, I ordered everything on-line on Wednesday morning and I met the delivery truck this morning at the drop-off spot. We loaded all of the boxes of stuff into my van and drove to my house where we divvied everything up. We each got a laundry basket full of yummy fruits and vegetables (from carrots and potatoes to mangoes and pears and everything inbetween). Everyone seems pleased with what they received. I think the process will go smoother with every passing week. The best thing is that we had an all veggie dinner and the kids didn't even complain (well, except for the mushrooms--but I told them they could pick those out). Now...on to tomorrow's adventure. It's B's big birthday party--he's going to be twelve on Saturday. That's hard to believe. We are having a HUGE video game party. He's invited a bunch of his friends (even some girls). It should be something. I hope I survive it. So, I have to get everything ready for that. I am also in charge of the Friday Fun Club at S's class tomorrow. Every other Friday they have a parent come in and do something fun with the kids the last 45 minutes of school, for all of the kids that have completed their work for the week. I think I am going to do something Thanksgiving related. Not sure about all of the details yet.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment