It's my baby's birthday. He's not a baby. He's sixteen.
How did that happen??
He has had a great day!
The festivities actually started yesterday. We went last night and bought him a new suit for church (he was actually excited about this.)
This morning, before school, he received his very first cell phone. I know. We are horrible parents. We made him wait until he was sixteen to get a phone. But guess what?? He survived--in fact, I'd say he thrived without one for all of these years. And he sure appreciates it now! He's thrilled!
Then Mom checked him out of second period to run down to the Department of Motor Vehicles to get his official driver's license. I think that has been the highlight of his day. We ran home afterwards and he picked up the Jeep and actually drove himself back to school! Then he drove himself home from school! Then he traded the car for the scooter and ran all around the neighborhood.
This evening, we went out to dinner as a family to our favorite Chinese restaurant. (Just a little aside--this is a huge deal. I never thought I'd witness the day when the Man requested Chinese food for his birthday. You know, all those weird vegetables!) YUMMY!
And the icing on the cake?? TIckets to the midnight showing of Harry Potter-on a school night!. Some of his friends are coming to hang out in about an hour. Then around 11:30, we'll all drive out to the theater. Could it get any better?
I think not.
Well. Maybe.
He's planned a big official birthday bash with his friends on Saturday. So stay tuned.

2 comments:
Happy Birthday Again. Wow, that sounds like an amazing birthday start. And I think you are wonderful parents for not getting him a cell phone till now. I didn't have a cell phone till I was 20 (I guess it was kind of back in the day a bit, however we think that's great). So glad it has been so fun and wonderful. Love all of you!
Wow- 16- that is a BIG deal!! Happy Birthday. What fun things to celebrate and I hope the premier was a blast- we are all jealous of those tickets!!
Post a Comment