I was folding the laundry in my room this morning and Lucie was entertaining herself at my feet. She meandered over to my bookshelf where she saw a book with a little Chinese girl on the front.
"Is this Woocie?" she asked.
"No, that's not Woocie."
"Who is this?" She was definitely perplexed.
"It's a little girl from China. Do you think it looks like Woocie?"
"Uh huh"
"Would you like to look at the pictures?" I asked to which she replied that she would. The book that she found is a photography book. Beautiful moving photographs. There are no words in the entire book, only photos of little Chinese girls that were in Social Welfare Institutes at the time the photos were taken. (I am hopeful that many of them are now with their forever families!) She carefully looked at each photo. She would look up from time to time and ask me if it was a picture of her. I would reply that it wasn't. They were pictures of other little Chinese girls. After looking at about six pages, she came across one that seemed to have a real effect on her. She said, "Mama, she's sad." And the little girl was sad. It was one of those break-your-heart pictures of a little girl that really needed a Mom to hold and love her. At that point, Lucie got up off the floor, grabbed her blanket and headed over to me.
"Lucie, are you sad?"
"Woocie is sad. Hold you". Which of course means, "hold me".
And I did. For a long time.
2 comments:
How sweet!! I told my mom she has to start reading your blog. I love it!! You make me cry and laugh.
That is so tender! So glad you have her so she can be part of our lives too!
Post a Comment