Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Happy Birthday Bman!

Let's talk about fourteen. For some reason this has been a difficult birthday to prepare for. He can't really decide what he would like for his birthday. It falls on a Tuesday of all days...not really conducive for a big rowdy party. And he's fourteen which brings a little apathy along with it. But hopefully despite all of that, we can make this day a great day! We started the festivities last night with family night games and dessert at Cold Stone. This morning we all woke Bman with a melodious rendition of "Happy Birthday" and a box of fresh doughnuts for breakfast. He's chosen his favorite meal for dinner and trifle for dessert. (Apparently trifle is the new birthday cake of choice...although technically it's not a cake...well it used to be...but now it's, well, trifle). As far as the gift goes--the real problem is that when you are fourteen you want things that technically are too expensive for a traditional birthday present (at least at our house). He worked hard all summer and earned a lot of money. He's willing to pay at least half of the cost of his gift. But there's still that problem of what to get. These are the options he is considering in no particular order:

*a season ski pass and ski rental
*a drum set
*a wii
*a cell phone (the phone of course is free, but there's the monthly fee to contend with)
*an ipod, or itouch, or iphone (there's a small problem of parental consent on this one-not so much with the ipod, but the others have an internet issue that his folks are not too keen about)

So what's your vote?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ski pass--does that mean one of you will have to do the same?, Drum set--do you have a sound proof room?, Cell phone--he or you can pre-pay for so many months?, ipod--I vote for this. I want one for myself. I love J's. I can listen to music while I run and clean. And listen to the Book of Mormon. Also love the stereo dock so everyone can listen too.

TJoad said...

Thanks for your vote! Yes, there are complications to all of the choices. Which is probably why it has been so hard. I would much rather have him outside exercising than inside playing the wii. But an adult season ski pass for Dad to go with him is $500 --not to mention the rental. OUCH! I'd actually be OK with the drums..he's getting very good at them. The ipod is a good choice, except that Dad got an iphone from work and his ipod is available to use. So why buy another one? The phone has pros and cons. Of course you have to have texting capabilities, which would raise our monthly bill $30. I'm not sure I'm ready for that yet. Once you start, I don't see it ending until he's long gone from home. I guess we'll know by the end of the day what the final choice will be!

Suz said...

wow! Can't wait to hear what you picked!! Yes....major strings with all of those gifts...which happen to be the exact gifts my boys would love (except the ski passes :) You might as well dive into the cell phone.....man....Gunnar has something every day after school with cross country, debate, mock trial, drama, play rehearsals, etc. etc. and we honestly couldn't have him be without a phone. Every day the time to pick him up is different and he doesn't know in advance. Isn't an iphone the same as a cell phone but more expensive with internet? I haven't even let Jim get one of those yet :)

Suz said...

My guess is you're going with the drums....most economical (price doesn't end in a year like ski passes or continuous like a phone)and since he's good at it....sounds like a great choice! The girls will love dancing to his drums!!

Roger said...

I think I'd go with the drums,also, for the reasons stated in Suz' comments. I believe by the time I read this, though, the gift has already been purchased!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...