Ok, let's admit it. I think we are all feeling the financial pinch. I have been trying to think of ways to trim our spending. I've been successful with what I have tried, but I am always looking for more and more ideas. So, what are you doing? What has worked for you?
Here are some things that I have done in the past, or am currently doing:
*swapped out our incandescent bulbs for the flourescent ones--this helps a LOT!
*turned down the thermostat. I went probably six weeks without using the heater or the AC and I was so excited. But, now it is getting colder--time for the heater again-blah.
*less eating out and brown bagging it for lunch (I like to cook, but we could still do better on this one)
*canning and eating home-grown vegetables from the garden
*participate in a produce co-op. (I'm able to buy fresh produce at a savings of 50%)
*buy in bulk (everything from hamburger to toilet paper--my freezer is my best friend!)
*double or triple whatever recipe I'm making and freeze the extras
*grind my own wheat and make my own bread (I haven't purchased a loaf of bread in months)
*drink powdered milk (don't tell my kids, but I have been known to mix our fresh milk with powdered)
*ride the scooter (S is very good at this when the weather is good. His gas bill to/from work went down to $20/month--way to go honey!)
*participate in the van pool (this one is awesome and new! S just joined a van pool and he can get to/from work during those cold winter months for a mere $40/month)
*eliminate long distance from your phone. Use phone cards or free cell phone minutes
*only pay for bare bones cable (We've only had cable for a year or two and I signed up begrudgingly, but we weren't able to get any type of reception otherwise)
I'm sure there are more, but I can't think of them right now. I'll add them as I think of them. I'm considering a clothesline. But it's coming on winter, so I might have to wait for spring. They say the clothes dryer is one of the worst appliances for energy consumption. I'm also considering coupon clipping. I just haven't had the time in the past to do this and we don't get the Sunday paper, but I might give it a try. What do you think? Do you clip coupons? Is it worth it?
2 comments:
The clothes line is awesome just for the smell of the fresh outdoor smell. As for the coupons, when I am on top of them they do save us quite a bit!
Check out America's Cheapest Family book by Steve and Annette Economides! It has lots of great ideas.
Post a Comment